Thursday, February 7, 2008

Komen



My husband works for a post production house in Dallas as an assistant editor. What they do at this post house is edit tv commercials. They put it all together, mix the audio, do the graphics -- all of it.

For the last 8 months my husband has been part of a project for the Susan G. Komen For the Cure foundation. The foundation held a global summit in Budapest this year, uniting more than 50 advocates and announcing it's expansion into 10 countries. The goal is to reach women across the world who don't have the education concerning breast cancer - like we do here, in the U.S. To provide people regardless of race, religion or economic status the means to beat breast cancer.

More than 1 million men and women are diagnosed with breast cancer each year with 400,000 dying because of it.

For the last 8 months a production company with the company my husband works for has been traveling the world filming different conferences, runs, speakers, doctors offices, affiliates and advocates for the new campaign. The project has earned him many late nights loading footage and making dubs. It's also grown very dear to his heart. He's come home several times and asked me to check my breasts, when my last OB check up was, what my family history was like...

For the new campaign, CharlieTango has created an inspirational piece for advocates to share with and educate people.

Rodney showed the finished project to me last night. I made him promise to wait until it was completely finished to show it to me. I'm glad I waited. It's definitely a moving piece, to say the least. You can't help but tear up several times throughout the 7 minutes.

Tomorrow they will take the video to a leadership conference that is being held here in Dallas to make it's debut and kickoff the new campaign. They will get to meet Nancy Brinker, founder of the foundation and talk to several other advocates. Rodney's pretty excited, it's been a long process working on this project.

Most doctors agree that you should start getting mammograms at age 40 - though you should get them earlier if someone in your immediate family has had breast cancer and there are new studies out suggesting that women start getting mammograms at the age of 35. If you're younger than that (like me), make sure you keep up with your yearly pap smears (my OB checks my breasts at my visits, most should do the same) and check your breasts once a month on your own starting at the age of 20.

Check those breasts!

No comments: