Monday, June 2, 2008

Dinner Tonight

Today while I was grocery shopping at Target - and I was in the frozen food section picking up some boca patties - I happened upon some Contessa shrimp that was on sale. I took a look at the three different kinds they had in stock, Shrimp Scampi, Whiskey Jack Shrimp and Shrimp Marsala. I noticed that each box had two different recipes that incorporated it's kind of shrimp into it. I decided it was worth my $5 to give it a shot.



I wanted to make the Spicy Shrimp Pasta. The only ingredients it required was some penne pasta, a tomato, scallions and some whipping cream! Easy enough!

Somehow through my shopping trip, I managed to forget the other ingredients needed to make this recipe so when I went to make dinner tonight I was left with some things to figure out.

I decided to make it using what I had in my pantry/fridge

Stephanie's version of Spicy Shrimp Pasta -

Boil one package of penne pasta according to directions
Heat large skillet on medium heat and add shrimp



Add scallions and diced tomato - I had neither of these so I added a quarter chopped red onion and a can of diced tomatoes seasoned with basil, garlic and oregano. ( I drained half of the juice of the can of tomatoes)



You're also supposed to add a 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream at this point but I did not have that either! So I added a 1/4 cup of skim milk and a tablespoon of butter.

Let mixture cook for 4-5 minutes until shrimp becomes orange and opaque in the middle.

I tasted the sauce at this point and decided it still needed a little something.

So, I added 2 cups of Target brand spaghetti sauce. I keep it in the pantry just in case I need it for a quick dinner here and there and today it came in quite handy!

At this point, you add the pasta and mix and you're ready to chow down!



I gotta say, this was a VERY good meal. Rodney loved it, he just told me he loved it again even and he had no idea I was typing this. We paired it with some crusty garlic bread and it was exactly the kind of meal I was hoping it would be. Though I can't help but wonder what it would have been like had I followed the directions and used what it actually called for. Oh well, I love what I did to it so I'm positive I'll be making this again. Looking forward to lunch tomorrow!

No comments: